Friday, June 19, 2015

My Brain Hurts

When things happen in this country that I have trouble understanding, I do my best to view it from all angles.  It's the way I live my life.  Nothing is ever simple.  Nothing is ever cut and dry so you have to be able to look at things through another lens.  If you don't, then you're part of the problem.

The latest mass shooting in Charleston once again brings up all the same issues.... Black vs. white.  Liberal vs. Conservative.  Gun Control vs. No gun control.  Media vs. Reader.  Religion vs. Atheism.  Politician vs. Citizen.  And that's the thing in this country, it seems you have to have an enemy.

If you're not Religious then you're wrong and you're a heathen and you're going to hell.  Or if you're not an Atheist then you believe in fairy tales and you're brainwashed.  If you think either of those ways, you're part of the problem.

There is a ton of crime in this country.  Tons.  And there are no racial boundaries to it.  There's black on black, white on white, black on white, white on black.  And that doesn't even scratch the surface or crime that centers around race.  There's crime that has nothing to do with race.  People are just hateful and evil and not necessarily any kind of racist.  No discrimination, they just hate everyone.  But there is no denying that there is a race problem in this country.  And if you don't understand that, then you're part of the problem.

You may not experience it, you may not see it.  That doesn't mean racism doesn't exist.  I am one of the people who doesn't see racism in my life.  I'm lucky.  I live in a predominantly black neighborhood.  We are the only white family on our block.  Not once in 14 years have I had any kind of problem with race.  I've never felt threatened or afraid.  I have had the best neighbors I've had of anywhere I've lived.  I feel completely at ease and feel like no around me cares that I'm white.   And yes, I do feel lucky to be in this environment because growing up was not like that.  I lived in a neighborhood where white flight took hold of everyone on our street.


And now, because of Charleston and some whackadoodle with a gun, all the same dialog starts all over again.  So here is what I believe....
  1. If you use terms like Wingnut or Libtard, you're part of the problem.
  2. If you think all Conservatives think one way and all Liberals think one way, you're part of the problem.
  3. If you believe everything Rush Limbaugh or Bill O'Reilly or Bill Maher or Jon Stewart says, you're part of the problem.
  4. If you think racism will go away if we ignore it, you're part of the problem.
  5. If you think racism doesn't exist, you're part of the problem.
  6. If you think having a Republican in office will change everything, you're part of the problem.
  7. If you think having a Democrat in office will change everything, you're part of the problem.

I'm tired of all the bullshit.  It's no secret that my leanings are Liberal, but I look at the big picture.
Yes I believe in gay rights, I believe in equal rights for all actually.  And I believe racism exists.  I do not follow a religion anymore but I am not an atheist.  I think sensitivity has gotten way out of hand and find it absurd how easily people are offended by the stupidest things.  I have said for many many years, I do not offend very easily.... unless you abuse someone (child, adult, elderly) or an animal. That offends me greatly.   I believe in a woman's right to chose.  

I'm really truly exhaustedly tired by the us against them mentality in this country.  It doesn't matter anymore who holds the office of President because what has to happen no matter who it is, is that we have to work together.  Democrat/Republican, white/black, Religious/Atheist.  There is no one way. We have to come together as a unified people and work to make this country greater than ever. Working against the leaders is counter productive.  And if you don't get that, then you're part of the problem.

And just so you know, I don't think I'm above it all.  I'm pretty sure I'm part of the problem, somewhere/somehow.

1 comment: